Ok so this Spicy Almond Butter Sauce has now become my ‘on everything’ sauce! I have it on roasted veggies, brown rice and my husband even has it drizzled over his steak! It has an almond butter base and lots of spices that give it a real kick. The ancient science of Ayurveda suggests we should incorporate the 6 tastes into each meal: sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter and astringent. It helps us feel satisfied for longer, aids digestion and helps to control appetite. The spice mix in this sauce covers all of the tastes. This recipe makes enough for 2, so double or triple to suit your needs. Oh and if you don’t like it too hot, just reduce the amount of cayenne. Enjoy!
- 2 Tb almond butter
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp seeded mustard
- 4-6 Tb hot water
- Add all of the ingredients (except water) to a glass jug.
- Stir together to form a paste.
- Add 4 Tbsp of hot water and stir or whisk until smooth. Add a little bit more water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Drizzle over roasted veggies, rice, quinoa, tofu, meat… whatever you like!