One of my favourite meals of all time is definitely Spaghetti Bolognese. Loved it as a kid and still love it now. It’s an easy go-to that most people have the knack of making and a ‘usual’ in the meal plan in many homes, I’m sure. But if you’re looking for a meatless option then this Lentil Bolognese tastes and looks just like the original. You could almost go as far as saying you wouldn’t notice the difference! Adding the spinach is optional but I always like to throw a handful in to give the dish an extra boost of greens. It’s perfect on top of the pasta of your choice, zucchini zoodles or whatever takes your fancy. Top with some parmesan or some nutritional yeast if you’re vegan and enjoy!
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin brown lentils
- 1 Tb tomato paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a frypan and cook the onion and carrot for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic, oregano, tomato paste, salt and pepper and allow to cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils and stock cube and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Serve on your choice of pasta or zoodles and sprinkle with parmesan or nutritional yeast.