I like food that’s simple to make, but still delicious. I love veggie patties, but I don’t want processed frozen ones from the store and I want them to be quick. Enter these lean, green, delicious machines! Vegan, gluten free, packed with veggies and protein, and did I mention delicious?
You can experiment with the recipe if that’s your style. I’ve made them with spinach and collard greens (but much preferred the spinach). Use what you have, make them your own. If you don’t have tapioca flour or aren’t concerned if they’re gluten-free, use wheat flour.
They’re yummy with ketchup or try them with some (thick) cashew cream and Sriracha mixed together for a spicy dipping sauce. You could even throw them in a wrap with lots of veggies for lunch.
Quick veggie patties
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 25 minutes Servings 10 small patties Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach leaves
- 3 Green/spring onions – white only
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
- 16 oz/45og can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 2-3 Tbsp tapioca flour (or wheat etc)
- Olive oil for frying
- Pat dry spinach with paper towel and add to food processor. Also add the green/spring onions, garlic cloves, and salt and pepper. Blitz for about a minute until all ingredients are well chopped. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Add the chickpeas/garbanzo beans and blitz until all ingredients are well combined, but still a little chunky.
- Move mixture from the food processor to a medium-sized bowl. Add flour until mixture is firm enough to form small patties that will stay together. Slightly squash patties so they are about 1 inch thick.
- Add enough olive oil to cover the base of a fry pan and heat on low to medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, carefully place patties in the pan and fry for about 5 minutes each side. Patties should be golden brown and crispy on the outside and a little soft in the middle.