We grew up eating rice pudding almost every Thursday night when our cousins would come over for dinner. It was warm, gooey, vanilla deliciousness. Mum used to make it with white rice, milk and lots of sugar. While I still drool at the thought of it, I don’t usually have dairy, refined rice or sugar these days, so I figured it was about time to make my own version and healthy it up a bit.
This pudding is creamy and spiced just right for fall or winter. It really does feel like a warm hug for your body from the inside. And for another win – the kids loved it.
I cook up big batches of brown rice for milk and rice bowls etc so I used pre-cooked rice for this recipe.
Give it a try and let me know if you love it as much as we do!
Warm Spiced Rice Pudding
Course Dessert Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 6 servings Author Claire Bartlett
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 13.5oz/ 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and enjoy. You don’t need a lot, it’s deliciously rich and creamy!