These lemony bars are sweet and tart and so very delicious! With just the right amount of tang they make a lovely decadent treat, while still being healthy and good for you!
I recently started making my own almond milk and had been drying out and storing the pulp in the freezer with the intention of making it into almond meal/flour at some point. Ok, truth be told, I didn’t really expect to use it, lol. In my perfect world where I make wonderful, natural health-filled food all day long, I would use it to make all sorts of things. But in my actual life I threw it in the freezer alongside some of my other good intentions (anyone else have a billion bananas in their freezer?). But, today I actually made it into flour and was pretty chuffed that I got to use it. And it did a wonderful job! Win.
Give these a try. They’re a staple in our house now. Print
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 20 squares Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 Cup raw almonds
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- Wax paper to line dish
- 1 1/2 Cups raw cashews
- 1 Cup almond meal
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil, melted
- Process almonds in a food processor until finely chopped (but not almond butter!).
- Add pitted dates and process until the mixture forms a ball.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with wax paper then press base mixture into a firmly packed layer.
- Process cashews in (clean) food processor until finely chopped.
- Add the almond flour and pulse until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until combined.
- Spread filling over the base layer and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before slicing into the desired shape. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.