This Carrot and Walnut Cake recipe is an old favourite, tweaked to make it that little bit more healthy. Whenever I have a bunch of carrots left in the fridge, this recipe gets a run! I just love the crunch of the walnuts in this cake and enjoy having a piece with my arvo coffee!
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs for vegan – see note below)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tb vanilla extract
- 1 Tb cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 180/350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and ginger in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add wet mix to dry and stir to combine.
- Add grated carrot and walnuts and fold through.
- Pour mixture into lined square cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Slice into squares and enjoy!
Note: For flax eggs add 2 Tb ground flax meal to 6 Tb water and allow to sit for a few minutes. Add to mixture as you would the eggs.