I love me some lettuce cups, and butter lettuce is my favorite type to use! These Thai lettuce cups can be made with ground chicken (mince) or tofu or diced tempeh if you prefer a plant-based option. Either way they are a great and simple addition to the weeknight dinner rotation. And the peanut sauce is to die for!!!
Thai lettuce cups
Course Dinner Cuisine Thai Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 35 minutes Servings 4 people Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow pepper/capsicum
- 1 small zucchini squash
- 2 carrots
- 1 lb/ 500 g ground chicken (mince)
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce or Tamari
- 1-2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tsp dried ginger powder
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp honey
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 Tsp Sriracha (to taste) optional
- Wash butter lettuce and separate leaves to form cups.
- If you’re mixing in brown rice, prepare 1-2 cups according to package directions.
- Add cashews to a food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Cut onions, garlic and ginger into chunks, then place in food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat, then add cashews, onions, garlic, ginger and ground chicken (if using). Reduce heat and sauté until chicken is browned.
- While the other ingredients are on the stove, cut the yellow pepper/capsicum and zucchini into chunks then process in food processor until finely chopped. Do the same for the carrots (separately).
- Add the vegetables and a Tbsp of soy sauce to the chicken mixture and sauté for an additional 10 minutes.
- While they are cooking, make the peanut sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a small pot over low heat. Stir to combine, making sure not to over heat. It will be ready when all ingredients are combined and a liquid consistency.
- Fill lettuce cups with appropriate amount of filling then drizzle some peanut sauce over the top. Devour!!!