I love me some mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving and Christmas and…ok anytime! There’s something so comforting about the creamy texture and I love the hints of salt and garlic that make the creaminess come alive. But being vegan, I thought it would be tricky to recreate. Cashew cream to the rescue! Just a half a cup of soaked raw cashews brings a beautiful silkiness to the mash and believe me, it’s hard to stop at one helping!
To make it even more delish, try topping with Vegan Onion Gravy.
Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
A deliciously creamy version of traditional mashed potatoes. Course Side Dish Cuisine Vegan Prep Time 3 hours Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 3 hours 20 minutes Servings 4 people Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 lb gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil/vegan butter
- Salt & pepper
- Soak cashews in the cup of water for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes in water salted with Himalayan Pink Salt.
- While potatoes are boiling, blend cashews with the water they soaked in until smooth and creamy.
- Drain cooked potatoes and place back in the saucepan.
- Add coconut oil/vegan butter and mash to your desired smooth/lumpiness.
- Stir in cashew cream and crushed garlic. Season with salt and pepper.