In Australia, there are still those yummy crisp and cool sunny mornings, and in the States, we’re finally getting some too! And over here that means pumpkin spice latte time and the official heralding in of Fall. I remember when I first moved over here I was a little (ok, a lot) grossed out at the thought of pumpkin being in sweet food and drinks. I’d only ever had pumpkin in savory forms – soup and the weekend roast. I’ve since come around – it took a few years though lol. Now, it’s time for a healthy pumpkin spice latte recipe!
These days, I love me a pumpkin spice latte, but let’s be real, the ones at the big coffee shops aren’t the healthiest option. So, I have tested a few versions on myself and a wonderfully helpful friend and come up with a delicious and healthy pumpkin spice latte you can easily make at home. I don’t make them every day (it’s still peaking in the 90’s in Northern California!), so instead of buying an entire can of pumpkin puree, I grabbed a couple of small jars of pumpkin baby food. Sounds weird, I know, but they have a handy lid so you can store leftovers in the fridge and the pumpkin is really smooth. Feel free to use regular puree instead.
The other cool part about making these yourself is that you can tweak the spices to your liking. I like ginger, some people do not. I don’t like my coffee sweet, so I only add a little maple syrup. It’s your cuppa and completely customizable. You do you, baby!
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Prep Time 5 minutes Servings 1 mug Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 cup dairy or plant milk
- 1 shot espresso
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin baby food or puree
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Make the shot of espresso according to your machine.
- Add pumpkin, spices, vanilla, and syrup to the coffee and stir well.
- Steam the milk with a steamer or heat in the microwave until nice and hot.
- Pour milk into the pumpkin spice mix and whisk until well combined.
- Dust the top with a little extra cinnamon. Curl up under a blanket and sip your way to happiness.