On blustery winter nights, a nice warm bowl of mashed potato and gravy can do wonders for the body and the soul. Not to mention, the Thanksgiving and Christmas spread wouldn’t be the same without either of them! The sage and rosemary in this Vegan Onion Gravy give it a delicious depth of flavor similar to a traditional brown gravy. Try this yummy gravy generously poured over the Thanksgiving feast or on Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
Vegan Onion Gravy
A delicious gravy with sage and rosemary rounding out a traditional gravy flavor. You can choose to blend it into a smooth gravy or leave it chunky. It goes so wonderfully well over creamy vegan mashed potatoes! (Link in post).Course Side Dish Cuisine Vegan Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 25 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 4 People Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 Large sweet onion, finely diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp fresh rosemary, finely diced
- 4 Fresh (or crispy fried) sage leaves, finely diced (or crumbled)
- 2 tsp Better than Bouillon vegetable base
- 1 Tbsp Olive or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance or other vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp White wholewheat flour
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Applesauce
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil and saute onions on low heat until very tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Stir often so they don’t burn and add a little water if they start to stick
- Add garlic, rosemary, and sage and vegan butter and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and work completely through the onion mixture.
- Add Better than Bouillon and applesauce.
- Add the water and return to a gentle boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The gravy can be served chunky, or if you prefer, allow it to cool slightly then place in the blender until desired consistency is reached.