We were celebrating the 2 year anniversary of Free Spirited Sisters and I wanted to make something vegan and yummy that (hopefully!) everyone would like. And what better than a creamy corn chowder in the Fall? It was very well received, even by the non-veggos!
The secret sauce in this delish corn chowder is the cashew cream. It adds a wonderful creaminess to the spicy chipotle kick.
Cashew cream is extremely versatile and can be used in many recipes. We use it as a base for vegan sour cream, as a substitute for cream and butter in mashed potatoes, in smoothies as a dairy milk alternative and we’re currently testing a recipe for vegan creamer.
This soup is best made in the slow cooker or the Instantpot (you can saute and slow cook and only clean one bowl – winning!), but can be adapted to the stovetop also. After sauteing the onions and garlic, add all of the ingredients (except the cashew cream) to a large heavy-based pot, bring to a low boil and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft when poked with a fork. Blend per the recipe below then stir in the cashew cream.
Chipotle Corn Chowder
Course Main Course Cuisine Vegan Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 6 hours Servings 8 Author Claire Bartlett
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 cans sweet corn or 5 cups frozen corn
- 4 tsp Better than Bouillon vegetable paste Or omit paste and boiling water and use 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 Tbsp chipotle chili seasoning Adjust for desired spicy level. This amount has a little kick.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Small handfull chives, finely chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup cashews plus enough water to cover for soaking
- 1 cup water
- Prepare the vegetables as indicated.
- Saute onions and garlic for a couple of minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add everything (except cashew cream) to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Use an immersion/stick blender to roughly blend soup. Leave some chunky for that good texture. You could also add half or more of the soup to a blender (in small batches to avoid issues with steam), then recombine in the slow cooker.
- Add cashew cream and stir to combine.
- Serve in big, fun bowls and garnish with chives.
Cashew cream – soak cashews before everything else goes into the slow cooker
- Cover cashews with water and soak for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Discard soaking water and add 1 cup of water to a blender with the cashews.
- Blend until smooth.