Do you still have leftover (uncarved) Halloween pumpkins? No judgment here…so do we. Try this delicious way to use them up and add some healthy veggies to your day as well. Added bonus, it’s a kid favorite – win! My daughter couldn’t get enough of it, which I promise, is a big deal in our house!
Pumpkin Mac’ n’ Cheese
Get some veggies into mac and cheese and make just that little bit healthier. Course Side Dish Prep Time 10 minutes Servings 8 people Author Claire Bartlett
- 16 oz package of macaroni
- 2 Cups Pumpkin, cubed
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 Cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch nutmeg
- Boil pumpkin on the stove for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Make a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan and adding the flour. Cook the roux on low-medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Don’t let it get too dark.
- Slowly add milk and whisk until well combined with the roux, and the lumps are gone.
- Mash the cooked and drained pumpkin and add to the sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, salt and pepper and nutmeg and continue to stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Drain cooked macaroni and transfer to a large bowl. Add the sauce and stir gently to combine.